Makete vrtnih željeznica

željko halambek

Veteran foruma
Koristeći T mjerilo može se napraviti maketa vrtne željeznice (7 1/4") u mjerilu 1:32

http://www.hobbiesplus.com.au/t_gauge_.htm

1/32 scale Garden Railway. Includes a 1/32 scale garden scene with figures and a miniature railway diesel locomotive and riding car on 3mm gauge track. Photo credit - KK Eishindo

T%20116.jpg

teien02.jpg

t%20125r.jpg

željko halambek

Veteran foruma
Zanimljiv blog o gradnji makete vrtne željeznice:
http://downlandmr.blogspot.hr/

More changes

Since the last update a lot has happened here at Downland - here is the news as of June 2015
LOCOMOTIVES
The first all new steam locomotive was constructed in our works. Based on 'Firefly' the ex Bullock Pannier converted to an 0-6-0 tender loco at New Romney in 1946, the real loco spent many years working the Hastings Miniature Railway. It is now on foreign ground in Arbroath.

The Downlands version is the chassis and running plate off a Lima Fowler 0-6-0 with a scratchbuilt (3D printed) boiler, cab, smokebox door and tender body. The chimney was something I found in my scrap box, while the dome and safety valves were salvaged from the remains of the Lima body. The tender body disguises a KATO 4w mechanism and a few bits of lead for weight. It runs extremely well and made its debut at a small exhibition in Maidstone in April, where it put the rough running of our other two steam locos to shame. With the success of the first Firefly 2 class I decided to have a go at building a second with a bit more of the original's look.

The great thing about 3D printing is once you have the file made up it is as simple as pushing a button to print out a second set of body parts. The time was taken in stripping down the second donor Lima Fowler - unfortunately this time the chassis was found to be damaged so I have had to start from scratch, replicating the chassis and running plate. I also decided to build a new tender body, as the originals was a bit more high capacity than the one on the previous loco. When finished I gave it a coat of umber looking paint and lined it pale brown, which is pretty much the colour I remember it from Hastings

The original steam locos were converted white metal kits from ages ago when reliability was never guaranteed - and so it has proved. I started by removing the motor from the Scot and building a new tender housing my trusty KATO mechanism. I then found that whilst the tender ran beautifully the valve gear on the Scot created so much resistance that it caused the tender to slip badly no matter how much adhesive weight I added. There was only one thing for it and that was to cut back on the valve gear until the chassis would freewheel.

This was drastic enough but not as drastic as scrapping the entire body and building a completely new one! At present it is still 'work in progress' and this is the only photograph of the loco at the moment. Hopefully it will be fully operational by the time of the next exhibition at Deal on August 2nd. If this works then the green steamer will probably meet the same fate.

The 'diesel' fleet remains the same except that the Meteor is now fully finished.

RAILCAR
Every railway needs a quick start railcar for the early trains, specials and those periods when it is not worth firing up a steamer. The new Downland railcar unit is a two coach diesel hydraulic, with duplicated controls at both ends. Although limited seating it is proving very useful for the first couple of trains
The power car is slightly longer than the driving trailer to accommodate the Kubota diesel and hydraulic pump. Each bogie is fitted with hydraulic motors giving good acceleration and controllable braking.

COACHING STOCK
The April exhibition showed up real problems with my articulated bogie design with several embarrassing derailments - so much so that I hid the artic sets and used only the bogie coaches. After completing the railcar I turned my attention to the artic bogie and completely redesigned it to an easier system. It has so far proved very reliable and all artic sets are now fitted with them.

To go with the latest Firefly I thought I needed a new set of Hastings style coaches. These coaches were used with Firefly in its original pannier style on the short 10.25" gauge line at Dymchurch in 1938. They were used again at Dymchurch in 1946/7, then St Leonards in 1948 before moving to the current Hastings site. Unfortunately they have all now been recently destroyed. I think they are such a unique design that they deserved a better fate than that, and although the good folk at Hastings have built a couple of replicas for their portable line it isn't quite the same as an original. So this three car artic set is my tribute to the originals painted in a livery they carried at Hastings in the good old days.

željko halambek

Veteran foruma
Nastavak:

The other major change has been the scrapping of the old Bassett-Lowke style set and replacing them with a better engineered three car artic set. They have also acquired a foot well so passengers can sit in them without having their knees around their ears!
The replacement set has also received a new livery (we had too many green coaches) and now looks very smart in mid brown and yellow with black side frames and grey foot wells. Again, these now run well and even sound right!

STATIONS
With the increase in size of the loco fleet the old engine shed at the ticket office end of the station has become too small so work is ongoing to move the loco department to the brick carriage shed on the other side of the river. As the design of this shed was based on the engine shed in Danson Park this seems fitting. It should hold at least 6 locos, while the workshop will hold another. The old loco shed will offer shelter to two rakes, whilst the old metal shed alongside the brick shed will hold at least another two - although it acts as a tunnel during running so may need a clever bit of allocating the right set on the right line for overnight storage!
That's about it for the time being. Next exhibition is at Deal on August 2nd, then its Whitstable on August 22nd, Medway Model Show at Chatham on Sept 5th and 6th, Birchington on October 10th and Broadstairs in November.

New Arrival at Downland

Early February saw the delivery of our latest diesel - A Shepperton Meteor. The loco was acquired from a well known South Coast supplier and has been rebuilt with a bogie chassis and more powerful diesel hydraulic drive.

A bit of an ugly duckling the loco has a charm of its own but has yet to be allocated to a driver. We aren't too sure about the grey side frames to the bogies and thing that they will be painted black before the start of the season.

Posted by Derek Smith at 06:11 No comments:
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Saturday, 3 January 2015

Somewhere in north Kent the 10.25" gauge Downland Miniature Railway runs from the terminus at Downland to Lakeside – a distance of approximately 3⁄4 mile. At Lakeside a balloon loop negates the need for a turntable, although this means alternate runs are operated tender first – which gives the drivers a crick in the neck. A passing loop is proved en-route to allow two train operation at busy periods.
Downland Station is the largest station on the line with two platform faces, a two road loco shed, two road carriage shed and a small workshop. A new larger workshop and extra carriage storage is provided further up the line but the buildings at Downland are originals.

željko halambek

Veteran foruma
Nastavak:

Locomotives

The railway has two steam locomotives:
No.1
is a taper-boilered Scot built by R.C.Hammett for the proposed extension to the now defunct Danson Park Railway in Kent. When Mr Hammett moved to Bermuda he put the locomotive into store for two years before agreeing to sell it the DMR. It arrived just as the line was being built and played a big part in the construction of the railway. Affectionately known as 'Ron' to the staff it is soon due a full overhaul.
No.2 is based on a Southern Railway 'King Arthur' Class 4-6-0. Built by H & D Engineering the loco originally had an 8 wheel bogie tender, which had an alarming habit of derailing when running tender first, so this has now been altered to a six wheel rigid wheelbase. The loco is known as 'King Harry' although neither steam locomotives carry nameplates. A somewhat erratic steamer the loco is in line for a new boiler as funds allow.

The diesel fleet:
As with many miniature railways the immediacy of the diesels make them the mainstay of the fleet. Downlands have three:
Loco 3 & 4 are Cromar White 'Hymeks' converted to diesel hydraulic drive. Loco 3 is in original blue and white livery, while 5 is green and yellow. Neither loco is named although it is hoped that at least one will be named soon. These two locos handle the majority of off peak and weekday traffic.
Loco 5 is our 4w diesel hydraulic 'jack of all trades'. The lower power means it is rarely used for normal passenger traffic but is capable of handling the two coach articulated set. It is mainly used for permanent way work or for supplying the cafe at Lakeside with stores
The Coaches
The DMRhas a variety of open coaches. Most trains run as three car sets due to the platform lengths at Downland.

The original coaches are the three car red and green sets. The green set is composed of three separate bogie coaches and can be adapted to run in one, two or three car configuration.
The red set consists of an articulated pair and a single bogie coach

The other coach sets are a new two car articulated set that has been designed and built for off season passenger traffic and early and late trains. Finally there is the 'heritage set' based upon the 15" gauge Bassett-Lowke coaches that were so popular in the 1920s and 30s. They are currently being re-bogied and run only as a dedicated set.
Freight Wagons

Although mainly passenger the railway does need a few freight wagons. At the moment there are just 4 wagons, two open and 2 closed vans. The open wagons are normally used as part of the permanent way train together with the dark red covered van, which is used as a tool van. The other covered van is used to deliver stores to the cafe at Lakeside.
The railway is currently closed for the winter and reopens at Easter. This blog will be updated as work on the railway progresses so please be sure to return often to keep up to date.
SPOILERS
All of the above is how I would like it to be - and pretty much as it is at the moment. The model of Downland Station is approx 9ft long (including the small fiddle yard) by 1ft deep. It is modeled to a scale of 10mm/1ft using Peco 009 track and points. All buildings are constructed of card and apart from the coach shed, which is loosely based on the engine shed of the Danson Park Railway, are products of my imagination.
Both steam locomotives are converted white metal kits, which had been poked away in my stock box for many years. All three diesels have been built using my 3D printer. The Hymeks are mounted on Kato bogie chassis, while the 4w uses the Kato 11/103 4 wheel chassis.
All of the rolling stock has been designed by me using SketchUp and has been printed on my printer using PLA and ABS filaments. Most are mounted on secondhand N gauge bogies I found at exhibitions, although I have now started to use 3D printed bogies based on the type used on the RH&DR.
The layout uses normal DC control with section switches.

The railway is available for exhibitions so if you are interested please email me at [email protected]

Podržite rad foruma

Ako želite da pomognete radu foruma i portala malezeljeznice.net, možete da donirate i na taj način doprinesete radu foruma i portala u punom kapacitetu ( Detaljnije o donacijama ).

Iznos donacije
Korisnicko ime sa foruma
Ako ste već donirali i više ne želite da imate pretplatu na godišnju ili mjesecnu donaciju, istu možete otkazati klikom na donji gumb:

Na vrh